Micro Focus has released Filr 4.3,
the latest update to its powerful Enterprise File Sync-and-Share solution. It may not look like it at first glance, but this update is a big one, with great improvements behind the scenes. Read on to find out what has changed! We’ll follow the sections detailed in the Filr 4.3 Release Notes.
High-profile improvements include:
- SIEM Integration: With Filr 4.3 it is now possible to centrally monitor and analyze important Filr events. This works if you enable integration with your existing Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution.
- Integration for Micro Focus Desktop Containers: Filr 4.3 now enables tight integration with MFDC (version 21.7 and above). Users can now save their data transparently in Filr. This innovation helps ensure that the MFDC user data remains within the company.
As usual, there have been some extensions and improvements for the Filr web interface, some of which have now made it over from Filr 3.x :
- Customers can now add new languages to the list of available locales
- Image and media files are now rendered in-browser when accessed via public share links
- It is possible again to hide and unhide items under “Shared With Me”
- The beloved Permalinks are back
- Adding multiple email addresses at once when sharing is back
Additionally, a lot of work has been done “under the hood”, improving performance and bringing new admin features:
- CPU usage in search nodes is reduced for some of the most frequently used functions.
- CPU usage reduced when creating some central reports for large amounts of data.
- The web application now starts up to 10 times faster!
- The admin can now choose “OES CIFS” as Server Type for Net Folder Servers.
- The admin can now enable or disable “never” as a choice for share expiration, system-wide.
Micro Focus Content Editor updated to 1.2.2
With Filr 4.3, the Content Editor (CE) appliance, which supports collaborative editing of Filr-stored documents directly on the web, has been updated to version 1.2.2, bringing new features:
- Includes LibreOffice Draw support.
- Supports the ODF 1.3 file format.
- Calc now comes with Pivot Tables
- A number of new elements to add, like the Connector Toolbox and vertical textboxes.
There have also been changes to platform support:
- With the end of support for some client OS versions, the Filr Desktop Client for Windows 7/Windows 8.1 has been deprecated – they will still work, generally, but not receive any updates. To get all the new features, you need to be on Windows 10
- There is now a technical preview for the Filr Desktop Client for Apple Silicon (the M1-machines), that needs special care during installation.
For more detailed information, feel free to contact us, or check out the full Filr 4.3 Release Notes. For any questions concerning the new features, the update or how to set up and use Filr, please contact us. We are happy to help you.